Ah…Saudi. The Birthplace of Islam. The country with Makkah and Madinah. The place that claims to uphold Islamic values. The country that tries to be the beacon of light in the Muslim world. The land where shari’a rules.
Also the country where many ridiculously un-Islamic things happen.
I was reading this post and I still can’t get over how racist this is. The post basically talks about blood money, which is how much you pay a family when you kill one of its members. We have this in Egypt too although I’m not sure how it works. I personally would never accept money and would rather the person go to jail but a lot of people don’t seem to have a problem with putting a price on a life.
Anyway these are the prices in Saudi:
- 100,000 riyals if the victim is a Muslim man
- 50,000 riyals if a Muslim woman
- 50,000 riyals if a Christian man
- 25,000 riyals if a Christian woman
- 6,666 riyals if a Hindu man
- 3,333 riyals if a Hindu woman.
So. What have we learnt from this?
1. A woman is half of a man.
2. A Saudi man is worth $27,000, a Saudi woman is worth $13,000, and Hindu woman is worth $888.
3. Saudi’s government is racist.
4. I can’t believe how low Saudi has gone: from the birthplace of Islam to this.
Now the prices in general are pretty low. If you must put a price on someone’s life at least make it high. The price for a Hindu woman is pretty shocking. Above all else though is the blatant racism of this policy. I mean seriously, if you MUST be racist at least try and HIDE it! This one policy contains sexism, racism, and religionism (I know this isn’t a word). I wonder how many Saudis know about it?
Anyway. Next time you’re in Saudi and you want to accidentally kill someone, look for the cheapest target!